Monday, July 20, 2009

Practice at Orchard Park

Tonight I decided to head to the local 9 hole disc golf course by my house called Orchard Park to work on my putting. My friend Jeff Hagerty had shared a putting game with me that he has been playing lately that I wanted to try out. The object is to practice putts from outside the 10 meter circle and for every one you make you get a set number of points and for everyone you miss you lose points. Then for the ones that you miss you need to make the come back putt but instead of at the distance you missed by you need to make a putt from a set distance. In my case I was putting from 35 feet and 18 feet.

I headed to the park and my favorite practice basket, hole 3's basket.

The air outside was very warm and the sky was clear. The favorable conditions had many patrons out at the park which made the practicing very difficult. I would throw a couple of putts and then I would have to step off to the side and wait for a couple of groups to play through. I was having a difficult time hitting the 35 footers. I would make contact with the basket or the pole but a low percentage of my putts went in. From the come back position I was hitting about 70 percent of the putts which I was hoping would be closer to 90 percent.

Well since basket 3 was seeing some action I started switching between basket 1 and 3. There was very little wind tonight at the park, which is typically very rare so similar conditions were at either baskets. I was hitting a slightly higher percentage from the 35 foot spot on basket 1 but no difference in the 18 foot comeback putts.



The setting sun was also putting on a show at the park by illuminating some cool clouds to the west.



My mini disc (or marker disc) had a good view of all my misses, and was trying to fit in with the local ground cover. Meanwhile my putting was frustrating me and the sun was turning off the lights so I headed home.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comments, they will be posted shortly.