Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Disc Golf Demonstration at Tektronix

Hey today I had the great opportunity to present disc golf to some of my co-workers. I arranged to setup a demonstration in the sports field and I brought many of my practice discs and my portable basket so that people who came to check it out could try and throw some shots.



I had 4 people, who I work with, come out in the heat at 4:30 this afternoon to see about disc golf. Most of them know that I am heading back east to compete in the 2009 Disc Golf World Championships and wanted to see what I could do. I would like to thank the following people for coming out to experience it for the first time: Mike Smith, Varun Patel, Costel Vasiliu, Aleks Neubauer.

I think most of them were some what shocked at the ability to huck discs a great distance, especially the putters. They all gave disc golf a chance and started to throw some discs around. Some had a rough start getting the hang of it while others were naturals with the forehand shots. Everyone got better the more times they threw but I am sure they will all be sore tomorrow morning. It was fun to finally show these guys the game I am so passionate about and to see them get excited about it as they were learning to throw.

Look out for this guy, Mike, if you live in Vancouver, he showed some natural talent and was throwing putters from the get go about 60-80 feet. We graduated him up to a few mid range discs and he was crushing them. He also had the fore hand shots down as well and was getting some good glide time with the Roc's and Buzzz's.



Aleks was very enthusiastic about the game and had a few ideas for some rule changes but I told him we should wait on it for a while until he had a chance to play the game on a course. Sorry boss them are the rules! He was ripping out some nice hyzer shots by the end and really showed some potential.



Varun has played ultimate before so he is used to plastic flying devices so we can consider him experienced but I must say his forehand was real smooth and was getting some long flight times on his throws. He asked a few question about the grip for the forehand and after that it was smooth sailing. Varun is a lefty and maybe we will see him joining the lefty disc golf nation soon. He also had a wicked spin putt that was a laser of a throw but he might need a little more practice on his power, he would really overshoot the basket if he did not make contact.



Here are a few more photos of the fun! Next step is to get these guys out to a course some time after I get back and let them have the fun of playing on a course. I am hoping to get our entire staff out to a round at Orchard Park during lunch sometime, what do you say Aleks can we make that happen?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comments, they will be posted shortly.