Friday, July 31, 2009

Last day of regular play

Yesterday was a grueling day of golf, with Jason caddying for me at Blue Valley and then me caddying for him at Shawnee Mission in the afternoon we were worn out. I fell asleep last night with my laptop in front of me before I could make my Thursday night post. But here is a the results, I teed off at Blue Valley at 9:00 am with the sky looking like it might not rain. We were on the tee of hole 7 at 10:30 am and it looked like it was going to open up the flood gates on us, only to have a change of heart by hole 15 at 12:00 pm when the sun broke and the wind picked up. I played a relatively good round, sure the 70 does not look good on paper but the course at Blue Valley is a long and hilly course with long grass, tough uphill shots and long fairways. When you throw in weather conditions it can play even tougher. But if you need a frame of reference, I think the best Advanced score was 62, while the best Pro score in the rain was a 53 by Avery Jenkins. I felt like I made 4-5 mistakes which cost me about 3 strokes so I am happy with that. The round was rated above my rating so that is all I could hope for, but if you are ever in KC and you have a big arm, check out this course, the layout we played was listed at 10,897 feet, that is 2000 feet longer than either layout at Milo McIver's 18 hole courses.

After my round we jumped in the car and sped over to Shawnee Mission for Jason's 3 pm start. The weather at Shawnee Mission was a little windy but the sun was out and it felt warm. While we were there, Discraft had a test drive booth setup to allow some individual testing of some new discs and some old discs in new plastic. While I was throwing some drives the guy running it calls out that since there were 8 people there we were going to have a long drive contest, but the disc had to land in bounds which was the outfield of a softball field and we were throwing from about 250 feet to the right of 1st base. I was throwing the new stalker but dropped the one in my hands and picked up an ESP Flick for the contest. I was the first to throw and given the windy conditions I threw the Flick out on what could have been a roller angle with a flippy disc, the people watching were yelling that it was going OB but then it flexed out and came back in bounds and crossed the entire width of the in bounds area and landed safely at 425 feet. Several others threw their shots OB but one guy pumped out a 150 surge that caught a bad thermal and fell out at 400 feet. So for my display of distance I was awarded a Discraft hat. After I finished Jason and I headed out to his starting hole, hole 7, to get some practice with some drive in the wind and putts. I caddied for Jason and glad I did as he played a near flawless round. He started off really well using the wind to his advantage having birdie putts on his first three holes, hitting the third one. He then played a couple of the longer holes perfectly by putting his drives in the fairway and upshots under the basket. When we got to some shorter holes Jason putt his drives up under the baskets and after 7 holes he was -3. He then went on a steady streak of pars while his group was crumbling. He made the turn at 1 and parred his nemesis hole, then birdied hole 2. Stepping up to hole 3, Jason was a little unsure of the tee shot due to the wind and just ended up picking the wrong disc and landed in the shule with no throw. He played smart, pitched it out and played for the bogey which he got. He picked up one more birdie to go -4 and the hot round of the day.

Today we see a reversal of sorts as Jason will Play Blue Valley today at 10:30 am tee time and I will play Shawnee Mission with a 11:30 am Shotgun start. More to come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comments, they will be posted shortly.